Journey to Medicine, an MSC Summer School
Event providers: The University of Manchester
Please ensure you also complete the teacher form as part of your application.
MSC Summer Schools are a Medical Schools Council initiative in partnership with medical schools across England. The initiative is funded by Health Education England.
Are you a Year 12 student interested in Medicine? This summer school will help you to explore whether medicine is the right choice for you! You will receive the information, skills and – above all – the confidence needed to submit a strong application to medicine, as well as taking part in a series of fun and rewarding workshops, lectures, interactive and social activities.
This summer school is open to you if you are in or have been in local authority care in the last 10 years or you meet a minimum of two of the following criteria:
- Studying in a school that achieved below the national average Attainment 8 score at GCSE or had attended to the age of 16
- From a school with a high percentage of students receiving free school meals.
- Living in a geographical area with low levels of progression onto higher education
- Are a young carer
- From a family where the parents do not have a university degree from the UK or abroad
- In receipt of or eligible for free school meals or the 16-19 Bursary Fund or Discretionary Learner Support or Means Tested Benefit
- Are estranged from parents or guardians and/or be an asylum seeker or refugee
Priority will be given to applicants from Wigan, Rochdale, Bury or Salford
We would also expect you to have:
- the potential to study medicine and be capable of achieving the minimum grades required for entry (whether that is for standard entry programmes or programmes with a gateway year).
- an interest in STEM subjects and be considering studying science in their post-16 studies and medicine post-18
Please note GSCE and A level requirements are an important part of the selection process for Medical school. In general, good GCSE grades in English language, Maths and the Sciences are expected. In addition, there are often minimum A/A* (7/8) grade requirements. These vary across universities/medical schools, therefore for more information please visit the website of the Medical schools you are interested in.
If you have any questions about the event, please contact Helen Franklin by email or on 0161 2751340.
08 Jul 2019 - 11 Jul 2019
The University of Manchester
Gatsby benchmark 7
RPF learner outcomes LO1 LO2 LO3 LO4 LO5 LO6
This is a targeted postcode event
APPLICATION NOW CLOSED