Wigan and Leigh College
Event date/s: Upon Request
Event start/end time: 1 hour sessions
Delivery method: In School
Target Age Groups: Y9, Y10, Y11
Type of activity: Workshop
Topic of activity: Subject Specific
Booking type: Schools
Booking instructions: Please book through your Greater Manchester Higher Hub
In this master class students complete short investigations and test evidence using methods from the biological, chemical and physical aspects of forensics science. The results from these practical’s are critically analysed to determine the most likely suspect to have committed a crime, the concepts of uncertainty, error and the scientific process are discussed and linked to the criminal investigative and justice systems. During the activities students have the opportunity and are encouraged to discuss routes and destinations from the further study of science beyond school and college.
Requirements for delivery:
- A laboratory with water and sinks
- Access to laboratory 60mins before delivery of the first session
- Maximum 30 students per session – please note delivery to this number will mean that students work in pairs and pool results to complete the overall task.
- 5-10 minutes required for changeover
- Teacher presence and support for behaviour management, throughout full session.
- Maximum 4 1 hour sessions in a day